Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Challenge Completed

Yesterday I completed my 26.2 mile challenge with a nice short 2 mile run.  It was lucky that I only had 2 miles left because it was the hottest day of the year so far, and I was sweating bullets by the time I returned to my car.

During my challenge, I had a day when I was supposed to run 4 miles.  I was becoming frustrated that neither my endurance nor my speed was improving, so I decided to try something new.  I ran as fast as I could sustain for one mile, then walked .5 mile, ran as fast as I could sustain for another mile, walked another .5 mile, then ran one more mile.  When I calculated my speed, I averaged an 8:30 pace during the times I was running.  Considering that I started my training at upwards of a 10:40 pace for only 1.5-2 miles, I was pleased.

My next step was to close the gaps where I had walked.  I ran 3 miles one day, then 4 miles another day, a big 5 miler, and finally my 2 miles yesterday.  I now average:
  • 9:30s in the 3-4 mile range (and I don't have to stop to walk!)
  • 10:50 ish for my 5 miler (I'd like to blame the high pollen counts for that one) 
  • and 8:30 for my 2 mile run yesterday (in the hot, hot sun)  

My weight has not changed, my legs and bum are perhaps only slightly trimmer, but I feel better.  And, get this, I actually caught myself saying phrases like, "I'm a runner," "I just want to go for a run," and, "I love running."


yahoo images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...